Friday, November 18, 2011

La Paz and Sea of Cortez. October 2011




We arrived to La Paz in 100 degree heat. Luckly our new A/C unit was just getting the final touches and was working with in 2 hours of our arrival. Everyone here says don't come before Oct. 15th as it is still very hot, and right they are.

We get busy putting the boat back togther as our plan is to go north up into the Sea of Cortez.

As always with boats there are lots of things to do and you can be sure something unexpected will come up. For us it was discoverying our bilge had a bunch of oil in it. Luckly it was not from the engine, it was some stored oil. What a mess to clean up, taking the better part of 3 days. Oh, and not to mention the freezer going bonkers... got that fixed too

Finally the cuboards and freezer are full and we are ready to go.

We have a fab time, visiting our favorite anchorages, and of course visiting Loreto. We caught up with several of our boat friends and had a great time getting caught up with them and finding our what everyones plans are for the "season".

The fishing was fantastic! I caught 3 good size dorados, also called mahi mahi. They are very yummy. I made my first bach of ceviche, it came out very good if I do say so myself.

This year we have purchased 2 inflatable kayaks. We really enjoyed using them to explore the anchorages and nearby reefs. I am very glad we bought them.

One of the most incredible things to happen to us was having a full blown rain storm. I lasted all night, unheard of. In fact we were told that in one night they got more rain than in the last 2 years combined! It has been the only rain we expirenced here.

We are snug in a marina in La Paz getting ready to make a 3 day crossing on our way to Zhuatanao. We will leave Mazu there while we fly home to Oregon for the holidays.

I am also trying out a new blog site, it will allow me to make posts along the way via my SSB radio.
that new address is: www.sailblogs.com/mazuadventures
check it out I will try an post during our crossing.

1 comment:

SharonMV said...

Hi Elaine.
Glad you got everything shipshape. Beautiful sunset picture! Very impressive in person I imagine. And that fish is huge.
We enjoyed your e-mail about Thanksgiving.

Love, Sharon