Saturday, August 7, 2010

Seattle to Newport Oregon







We left Seattle 7:30 p.m. on August 3rd. We wanted to make the tides. Mel and I have a crew along with us, Roy and Steve. They will accompany us all the way to San Fransisco.






Our trip to Newport was uneventful as we had no wind and the wind we did get was right on our nose. The good news was that the sea's were flat, you could have water skied behind the boat.



We settled into 4 hour watches. That seems to work well as you can get a good bit of sleep when your watch ends.



Cooking was easier underway than I thought it would be, but again, we had pretty calm seas. I had on mishap with the pressure cooker, I had only used it once before so I was sure I could cook rice in it. I followed the direction, but soon I could smell something burning, I guess I did not put in enough water, what a mess, and I had to start over, (I did it the regular way, in a pot)






We arrived in Newport at 1:30 a.m. and had to negotiate the bar in the dark and fog. We had Roy and Steve at the mast spotting the buoy's and Mel was at the helm with the chart plotter, all very exciting.






Thank you to all our friends and family who came to Newport to see the boat and wish us Bon-Voyage !



We leave Newport at 6:30 a.m. on Sunday the 8th, for a straight run to S.F.



No comments: